Renold Quinlan withdraws from fight for mental reasons

Preparation: Renold Quinlan prepares for his title defence against Chris Eubank Junior earlier this year. Photo: Callum McGregor.

Preparation: Renold Quinlan prepares for his title defence against Chris Eubank Junior earlier this year. Photo: Callum McGregor.

Related content:

Kempsey’s Renold Quinlan has withdrawn from his scheduled bout with Manny Siaca because he isn’t “mentally ready for the fight”.

Quinlan, the former IBO super-middleweight champion, said he wouldn’t have entered the fight with the right mentality if he stepped in the ring on May 27.

“For months now I have been plagued by family issues within my extended family,” Quinlan said.

“I wouldn’t have been 100 per cent ready for the fight mentally and it was the best decision for my career.

“Family is everything within the Aboriginal community, we are all very close and do our best to be there for one another.”

The 27-year-old, who trains in a backyard shed in Kempsey, has been working on his mind frame and is hoping to get back in the ring soon.

“I am putting the issues aside and focusing on my own goals,” he said.

“My priorities are going to be my own little family, my wife and children.”

Quinlan has been in early discussions with fellow Australian boxers Zac Dunn and Jake Carr while he hopes he can arrange for a rematch against Chris Eubank Junior to win back his world title.

“It would be a big fight between me and Zac because a lot of people want to see that,” Quinlan said.

“It is hard to find a fight in Australia because they see me as a threat and their managers don’t want them to go against me. They put them in easier fights.”

Carr and Eubank are the two boxers to hand Quinlan a loss and he would gladly take on either opponent, to correct the mistakes he made in those fights.

Quinlan suffered a TKO at the hands of Eubank in February this year when the ‘Dunghutti Destroyer’ travelled to England to defend his title.

His loss against Carr was by unanimous decision in 2014.

The door remains open for Quinlan to fight Siaca, with an option to face the Puerto Rican in August.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop