Football Mid North Coast: Rangers keep ball rolling forward

The Macleay Valley Rangers recorded their fourth straight victory with ease as they cruised to a 4-0 win over the Taree Wildcats on Saturday.

The Rangers had it their own way for the entirety of the contest and the winning margin could have easily been in double figures if it wasn’t for wayward kicking from the Rangers’ attack.

“We dominated the whole game but didn’t finish off a lot of our chances,” Rangers coach Keith Morn told the Argus.

“We were on the front foot and controlled possession, I don’t think they had a shot in the first half and our goalkeeper didn’t have to make a save.”

However, Macleay Valley is currently on an incredible run of goal scoring.

The side leads the league with 39 goals in 11 games, averaging almost four goals a contest.

The Rangers have also been making a statement since suffering their first and only loss of the season.

They fell to Wallis Lake 2-1 in round eight but since then they have won all four of their matches and scored 16 goals and kept three clean sheets.

The Rangers pressured the Wildcats defence from the outset but they didn’t make it count until the final minutes of the opening half.

Daniel Saul found Kurt Riordan open on the edge of the 18-yard-box and the midfielder produced one of his best efforts on goal.

The ball was struck with venom and the Taree goalkeeper had no chance.

The lead at the break didn’t justify the Rangers’ dominance but it didn’t take the Rangers long to double their advantage early in the second half.

Taree failed to clear the ball to safety off a corner and Brett Morn made no mistake with his shot on goal.

Rangers continued to apply the pressure and they were rewarded in the final 10-minutes of the match.

Daniel Saul fired home before Andrew Potter put the icing on the cake of another big victory.

“Overall our performance was pretty good,” Morn said.

“In the first half we were relying on too many long balls though, I asked for them to keep it on the deck and pass it around more in the second half and we were able to do that.”

The Rangers were able to ease John Henry and Sam Applegate into the match as they return from injury.

Captain Paul Thurlow also 

managed to make a successful return to the pitch.

Macleay Valley benefit from a fortnight off with their scheduled bye this weekend.

“We will take advantage of the two week break and try and get everyone healthy for the run home to the finals,” Morn said.

The Rangers kept pace with competition leaders Wallis Lake, who sit one point above the Rangers on the table.

Wallis Lake had the bye on Saturday and remain undefeated this season, only dropping points in a nil-all draw in the opening round of the season against Port United.

Macleay Valley start their run home to the finals when they face off with the bottom-placed Wauchope in round 14.

The Rangers have five more regular season games this season, including a mouthwatering match up with Wallis Lake in the second last round of the year.

At this stage, it looks as if it will be the match that decides the minor premiership.

The Rangers finish their season off with a match against their crosstown rivals Kempsey Saints.