Kempsey Shire Council have reiterated that holiday parks and nature reserves across the shire are now closed, with holidaymakers being asked not to visit regional NSW towns.
Macleay residents are also being urged to follow restrictions on social distancing to help stop the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus).
"Council has made it clear that we are not open to holidaymakers, by closing our holiday parks and increased patrols around illegal camping areas, including the foreshore," Kempsey Shire Council General Manager Craig Milburn said.
The NSW Government announced on March 31 that all non-essential travel to regional NSW towns and remote communities must be cancelled and Easter holidaymakers should indefinitely postpone their visits.
A sign heading into Crescent Head informs holidaymakers there is to be no camping in National Parks, Reserves or on roadsides.
From March 31 the additional restrictions now in place are:
- You must stay home unless you're going to work (where you can't work remotely); school or an educational institution; shop for food and essentials; get medical care or supplies, or exercise.
- Do not gather in public except for members of the same household or where the gathering is essential for work or education. This also excludes shops and shopping centres (which you may attend with one other person).
- Playgrounds, skate parks and outside gyms in public places will be closed.
- There is a six month moratorium on evictions.
- People aged 70 plus, Indigenous people aged 50 plus and those with existing health conditions or comorbidities aged 60 plus, should stay at home as much as possible.
"The recently announced NSW Government laws on social distancing are clear and the police have indicated to us that they are willing to enforce them," Mr Milburn said.
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.