The skies have calmed and the Bureau of Meteorology issued their final flood warning for the Macleay River at 6:11pm 16 December 2020.
For now, the concerns have passed with the BoM stating on their website, 'the immediate threat of severe weather has passed, but the situation will continue to be monitored and further warnings will be issued if necessary.'
Kempsey's forecast sees a maximum of 29 degrees for the rest of today with a 60% chance of rain whilst Friday is expected to be partly cloudy.
Chance of rainfall increases over the weekend but only a maximum of 10mm.
Stay ahead with local news by signing up for the Macleay Argus newsletter here.
From Tuesday to Wednesday a total of 169.8mm of rain was recorded for the Kempsey area by the BoM.
At the time of print, Kempsey Shire Council offered this information as the latest update for road openings and closures:
- Water is still over some routes around the Kempsey LGA, proceed with caution.
- Collombatti Road is open
- Saleyards road is closed.
- Old Aerodrome Road is open
- Theresa Street is open
- Mines Road is open
- Queen Street is open
- Turners Flat, Bellbrook, Toorooka, Sherwood and Temagog Bridges across the Macleay River are open.
- Dungay Creek Causeway is now open, water remains over the surface so proceed with caution.
- Moparrabah Road and Dowling's Falls causeway's are closed.
- The Gladstone Street Rail Underpass is closed.
- Armidale Regional Council advise that Armidale Road is closed west of Blackbird Flat.
The latest river levels were as follows:
- Georges Creek - 2.191m at 12:46pm - Steady
- Bellbrook - 2.22m at 11:00am - Falling
- Turners Flat - 2.738pm at 12:46am - Falling
- Sherwood Bridge - 2.53m at 12:46pm - Falling
- Kempsey Traffic Bridge - 1.499m at 12:46pm - Rising
The Sherwood Bridge became inundated at the height of rainfall and council's flood monitoring camera proved its worth.
Now two important sporting questions remain.
Will the presitigious Dyet & Foran event go ahead at Kempsey Golf Club this Saturday and will Rovers be able to play as they look to defend their Premier League streak against Wingham this weekend?