Increasing opportunities for participation in sport, providing quality playing fields and the capacity to host larger sporting events will soon be possible with Kempsey Shire Council's significant investment in the redevelopment of the Verge and Eden St Sporting Complex.
Some of the completed upgrades so far include the construction of a six-lane cricket net facility, the installation of new turf across the fields, four exercise stations and new lighting.
Council began the project in 2020 after securing a $10 million NSW Government grant to create better sporting facilities in the region and a capacity to host larger events.
Council has worked and consulted with the various clubs who currently utilise the fields including cricket, soccer, netball, rugby league and rugby union.
Upcoming works include:
- Carpark construction including Verge Lane, Vincent Street and Verge Street
- Construction of the running track which will include a 2.4m crushed and compacted gravel surface suitable for wheelchair access
- Work on the lighting footings and cabling will start in April with poles to be erected in July at no impact to users during the works
- Work on the lighting for the netball courts will begin following the 2021 netball season
- The irrigation tender has been released and a report will be prepared for the council meeting on April 20, 2021 with a goal of commencing works in August
- Concept designs for both the netball and multipurpose pavilions will be completed by the end of March
For updates on the Verge and Eden St Sporting Complex go to the project page on council's website: https://ksc.pub/verge-and-eden
Sign up for Council's new sports newsletter
To keep the community informed on the redevelopment of the fields and other sports club news, events and improvements to our sports facilities, council is producing a new Kempsey Shire Sports and Recreation e-newsletter.
Residents can sign up by going to: http://eepurl.com/hmtrtH