It would have been plain to NRL player Jack de Belin and his male friend that a 19-year-old woman was not consenting to sex, the men's retrial has heard.
The footballer, 30, and Callan Sinclair, 23, have pleaded not guilty to the aggravated sexual assault of the woman in a North Wollongong unit after meeting the teenager on a bar dancefloor in December 2018.
"Mr de Belin was, having got the complainant back to the unit, determined to have sex with her ... and was not going to take no for an answer," crown prosecutor David Scully told the Sydney District Court jury on Wednesday.
Both men had been hoping for a consensual threesome but there had been a "fundamental disconnect" between their wants and hers.
However, based on the woman's actions and words such as "no", it was plain at the time of the alleged crimes that the men would have known she was not consenting, Mr Scully said.
"Mr de Belin started to take sex by force and Mr Sinclair saw that and decided to join in," he said.
The jury has been told it will see a tape of the woman's evidence given in the first trial, which did not conclude.
Audio recordings of other witnesses' evidence at that trial, including de Belin and Sinclair's, will also be played over the next three weeks.
De Belin's lawyer said there was a "fundamental issue of credibility" in the evidence of crown witnesses including the complainant.
Jurors would have to ask themselves if her actions afterwards were of the manner they would expect of someone "viciously raped", David Campbell SC said.
"Each of (the accused men) have forcefully, emphatically, repeatedly and consistently - most importantly - denied there was anything untoward about what happened - that is everything that took place in those premises on that night was consensual," he said.
In the first trial, Sinclair spoke of being a young man from a loving family, his barrister said.
"You'll hear Callan say ... he's never been in trouble before and he's a man of good character," barrister Sharyn Hall said on Wednesday.
The jury heard the woman met the men on the dancefloor of Wollongong bar Mr Crown, already knowing Sinclair from a sports team years earlier.
CCTV footage would show "a lot of dancing" and de Belin and the woman embracing on the dancefloor.
A kiss between the woman and Sinclair in the bar was not, on the crown case, "a passionate one".
"It was a fun kiss and they laughed about it afterwards," Mr Scully said.
The woman left the bar under the impression the trio were headed to the nearby Fever Nightclub but was led to a taxi rank, ending up at the unit.
She entered to use the bathroom before de Belin undid her top, pushed her onto the bed and said "show me your rack", the Crown alleges.
Telling the men "no" and "stop", she watched the footballer forced himself on her.
"The complainant felt numb inside," Mr Scully said, detailing how the woman alleged the men took turns raping her.
Sinclair faces five charges of aggravated sexual assault, alleging five sexual acts occurred in company.
The St George Illawarra forward faces four identical charges.
A fifth charge against de Belin is of aggravated sexual assault in company, alleging he intentionally or recklessly inflicted actual bodily harm about the time of the first instance of sexual intercourse while also in the company of Sinclair.
The woman's evidence is due to be played on Thursday.
Australian Associated Press