KEMPSEY Shire was among those devastated in the 2019-20 bushfires and now the Australian Government is extending the closing date for the Black Summer Bushfire Recovery (BSBR) Grants to October 6, giving communities more time to apply.
Local Federal MP Pat Conaghan said the Government had been listening to communities impacted by the bushfires and that the extra month to apply would be welcomed by people in this electorate.
"This will allow more time for our local communities in the bushfire impacted LGAs to put forward great ideas for projects that will meet our specific local needs," Mr Conaghan said.
"Almost two years on, communities affected by the 2019-20 bushfires continue to face very real challenges. The Commonwealth made $2.8 billion available for recovery from the Black Summer bushfires, and $2.4 billion has been spent to-date.
"This extra time to apply will help ensure that this $280 million grant round goes to much needed community projects - to not only support our continued recovery but also help strengthen the resilience of our communities to future disasters.
"I urge eligible people of the Mid North Coast and North Coast who have a great idea for our continued bushfire recovery to submit an application by October 6."
The National Recovery and Resilience Agency is continuing to support people in a range of ways to prepare their applications, for example online workshops are still available, as well as short videos and answers to Frequently Asked Questions on the NRRA website.
Black Summer Bushfire Recovery grants are available in every local government area that was disaster declared as a result of the 2019-20 Black Summer bushfires. This includes Kempsey Shire.
For more information on the assistance available, including workshops, visit: www.recovery.gov.au/black-summer-grants
To start your application visit: https://business.gov.au/bsbr
Also making the news
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: