The man accused of breaking into a nursing home and raping a 90-year-old woman previously served jail time for a similar crime, NSW parliament has been told. Brett Anthony Crawford is on remand accused of aggravated sexual assault and other serious offences following an alleged attack on November 15. The woman died in hospital on Tuesday where she was being treated for injuries sustained when attacked in her nursing home on the Central Coast. Crawford, who was arrested at Caves Beach, allegedly used bedding to silence the woman's calls for help and pinned her to the bed, causing injuries to her arms, legs and head. While describing the "disgusting and heinous" act in a late-night speech, Nationals MP Bronnie Taylor used parliamentary privilege to reveal Crawford committed a similar crime in 2011 under the surname Ralph. Crawford had been told to leave a house party but later broke into the home and raped a woman at knifepoint, Ms Taylor said. "After raping the woman, Crawford then stabbed her in the face," she said. Ms Taylor said sexual assault charges were dropped as part of a plea deal, with Crawford eventually sentenced for causing grievous bodily harm and indecent acts. It was important to review the handling of the first case including the plea deal and to determine "what could have been done to reduce or eliminate the risk" of Crawford allegedly attacking the aged care resident this month, she said. "What happened to this woman is despicable," Ms Taylor said. "This woman has no voice because she is dead. She should not have experienced such violence and horrific death. "But that it was someone who had reoffended and was allowed that opportunity is quite unforgivable." Police have previously described the "horrendous" attack as "beyond belief". The woman suffered skin tears where pressure was applied. "That someone, any person in the safety of their home would be attacked like this, but to attack a very defenceless old lady is beyond belief," Sex Crimes Squad commander Jayne Doherty said. Extra security was hired at the aged-care home to ensure residents felt safe but police said they had no ongoing safety concerns. Crawford will remain behind bars until his next appearance at Gosford Local Court in February.