POLICE want to speak with witnesses and review CCTV footage in an attempt to piece together the series of events leading up to the death of a 61-year-old South West Rocks man overnight.
Forensic investigators are urging people with information, or who may have witnessed the incident on Wednesday, to come forward.
South West Rocks man, Connor Fuller, 27, was arrested at the scene and taken to Kempsey Police Station where he was charged with murder. He was refused bail and appeared in Port Macquarie Local Court today.
The case has been adjourned to Kempsey Local Court tomorrow. A plea has not been entered.
Mid North Coast Police District crime manager Detective Acting Inspector Peter O'Reilly said the older man was found on the roadside at around 7pm by emergency services crews. He said police had received calls from witnesses that a man had been seriously assaulted.
Det Act Insp O'Reilly said the man was treated at the scene for significant head injuries before being flown to John Hunter Hospital in Newcastle where he later died.
He said the incident had left the man's family "horrendously traumatised" and "totally devastated".
"They have lost a loved one in completely unexpected circumstances," he said.
Det Act Insp O'Reilly said the two men were not known to each other.
Police are continuing to investigate whether a road rage incident is linked to the alleged assault.
He said police are seeking more information on two cars that may have been travelling at speed through the South West Rocks CBD area between 6 and 7pm as a part of their ongoing investigations.
"We've certainly spoken to a number of witnesses who have provided us with statements which have been very helpful in progressing the investigation quite quickly," Det Act Insp O'Reilly said.
"Our investigators are out in the field and they will be knocking on doors to seek assistance from members of the public."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: